Sunday, November 25, 2007

The Suffering of Columbus

Read John Harmon's opinion today on Columbus' plight. We are all suffering tremendously. Why? Because laws are being enforced - specifically immigration laws.

I don't know about you, but I am tired of the Chicken-Little rhetoric that is continuously being spewed by the Left. Global warming has been all the rage for the past year or so (it has seemed like a lifetime), and along with that has been this issue of ILLEGAL immigration. [Emphasis mine.] The truly pathetic thing about Harmon's post though is that Columbus is suffering. "Who will do the factory work?" "Who will do the service jobs?" OH MY GOSH! Oh the tragedy of it all!

I worked in a factory for several years. In fact, the one I used to work in had to lay off several hundred people for months just recently. Why? Not because of the INS coming in and taking ILLEGAL immigrants [Emphasis mine - again] (As an aside...can we just call ILLEGAL [emphasis mine - yet again] immigrants what they truly are - criminals?) and deporting them back to their homeland. Get this...it was because sales were down. Imagine that! Sounds like a vast right-wing conspiracy to me.

And what service jobs? I have no problem getting my hair cut when I want. I do not have trash piling up outside in my yard either. My landscaping has not suffered much to my knowledge, although I am having some trouble with a fungus in my grass. I definitely have no need for manicures either, but I do understand those are a hallmark of the "creative class" - especially men.

Nope...I have yet to see how my life is being negatively impacted by criminal immigrants being sent back to their land of origin.

I wish that instead of breaking the very laws they enact or their predecessors enacted, that lawmakers would act in the spirit of our Constitution. Change the laws if you do not like what is happening today, but don't just disregard existing ones. We are a Republic - a nation of laws. At least I thought we were.

I am amazed at the audacity that people display in their attempts to circumvent and undermine that founding document. I am even more amazed though of the even larger number of people who allow them to get away with it.

No comments: